Sunday, December 18, 2016

Herding Chickens & Starting Anew

Purging and getting down to only the essentials in all things - that's the name of the game during the next handful of weeks. Outside of client sports contracts, I've not been shooting since I've gotten back from my California adventure - there have been a TON of clerical and maintenance items. Classes I'm working through. Research. Paperwork to organize for taxes. Editing. Just "stuff." Stuff I've been putting off for far too long... and now I feel like I need to get all these chickens herded again before they really get away from me. :P

A huge to-do has been getting my online and photo presence manageable again. I shouldn't have signed up for every "new and different" site under the sun, and it shouldn't take me a ridiculous amount of time to post updates, blogs, photos and information across multiple platforms... even when using helpers like IFTTT - but it has. It is a major reason I don't post photo-related things more often. Now that's nearly remedied, and I plan to post new material more frequently.

Sites gone (so far):
  • Ello 
  • Flickr 
  • Crated 
  • Pixoto 
  • Viewbug 
  • a couple of photo-specific marketing sites 
  • a handful of more local/regional photo platforms that I never use 
Undecided:
  • a couple communities on G+ 
  • a few communities on Facebook 
  • a possible pending merge of my photo/personal FB pages (reeeeally on the fence about this one - pros/cons from those who have done it?) 
Keep (so far, but subject to change)
  • Google+ 
  • Facebook 
  • Instagram 
  • Twitter (although it is really just rebroadcasting things I post elsewhere) 
  • Pinterest (see above... although, it is close to being axed) 
  • LinkedIn 
  • 500px 
  • Red Bubble 
  • Fine Art America 
  • a couple stock photo sites in which I contribute 
  • yellocoyotephoto.com - my personal photo site 

I have been reworking my personal photo website... along with a small handful of other satellite sites (listed above) where I sell my imagery... to be a little more selective about what I put out into the world.

Sounds like a lot of fun, I know - not nearly as much fun as taking and posting new imagery. But with all of this nuisance work, I intend to get back to that soon... not long after the new year.


But for now, I leave you with this.

This was a last-ditch effort to salvage a scene that I thought I would never be able to capture... because I was an idiot and didn't bring the wide lens that I'd left in the Jeep (facepalm moment, for sure). Without said lens, I chose to take a series of handheld shots (because, you know, I didn't have the sense to bring my tripod either)... panoramic-style... both horizontally, and vertically... in hopes that my post-processing software would be smart enough to figure out what I was trying to do.

Fortunately enough for me, the software caught on pretty quickly. *whew*

I give you, in all it's 15+ frame goodness... Horseshoe Bend near Page, Arizona in late October 2016. I'm actually quite pleased at how this image shaped up given the circumstances.