Sunday, October 23, 2016

SSA13/SoCal Trip - Day 2, pt. 2

I started my day about 50 miles east of Kansas City. As anticipated, I spent the vast amount of my day on the highway. I stopped to stretch my legs and get a 3 mile hike in at the Konza Prairie Biological Station. The landscape is so far removed from what we all know as the stereotypical Kansas terrain - large, rolling hills, bluffs, and 360° views for miles and miles. I'm very happy that I spent some time there.

The other item I had on my to-see list for Kansas was Monument Rocks - about 20 miles outside of Oakley, KS. I thought my timing would be perfect to catch it at sunset... but I ended up being a bit behind... chasing the sun. I arrived after official sunset, but still had enough interesting light/color to salvage some shots. Nothing good with the phone, however.

At any rate, here are some of my Konza shots from the phone.

I've stopped for nourishment, and plan to continue driving a bit. My goal for tomorrow is Great Sand Dunes Nat'l park in south/central Colorado.