Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Ends



The dance season is over.  *sigh*  The annual recital was over the weekend, and was a great time as it always is.  It’s always nice to perform, support other dancers, and see old friends.  It’s a good environment, even when things don’t go as you’d hope.  The small dance community is my other tribe, and I’m not sure what I’d do without them.

I’m working on processing photos still (and likely will be for the week ahead).  If you want a sneak peek, click here:























While I thought my weeknight high school photo season would be over as well, it’s not.  I’ve been given some playoff games to cover this week and next.  It’s nice to be requested for specific games – it makes me feel good about my work. 

I’ve also been approached by my other contract to do a bit of section lead work for my next event with them… in their words, ‘because you have been shooting with us for a while and we have been impressed with your quality of work, dependability and professionalism.’  Badass.  I will oversee a group of 4-5 other photographers. The pay is better.  And lead experience is going in the right direction.  Regular team leads are kept quite busy, they travel regionally (and sometimes farther), and provide the promotional photos to the event in which they cover.  It’s a lot of work, but also looks/sounds like a ton of fun… and I’d love to eventually be able to do this.  Baby steps this week… hopefully this 1 event will lead to more down the road. 

Knee surgery has been confirmed and will happen June 17th.  I have received an okay for medical leave with work - it will keep me out of the office for 2 weeks (unless I’m feeling exceptional, and then I may go back sooner).  I only have a physical left, and a conversation with the hospital a few days before the procedure.  Everything else is preparation for when it’s done.  Mobility around the house, clothing constraints (like, what can I wear that will fit over the brace and that I can wear to work later), being as comfortable as possible once I get back to work, etc.  I don’t have the nervousness like I did the last time – because I know what this is, and that it won’t be fun… but it will eventually be a lot better.  And it’s the being better part that I’m honing in on.

Don’t get me wrong – I’ll probably still have a panic attack the night before, like last time.  :oP