Sunday, March 1, 2015

Positive vs. Negative

I don't enjoy negativity.  I tend to be non-confrontational.  I prefer to ignore and walk away from arguments rather than engage in them.  It's often a struggle to participate in areas with others who perpetuate these things - who add to negativity with hate, with gossip, with poor and unresearched information, and the like.

I used to let all of these things get to me, to weigh on my mind.  I used to take so much personally which would make me bitter and upset.  It's been a lengthy progression, but I've worked a lot of this out of my head.  I think it started with my time with "The Four Agreements" by Don Miguel Ruiz a very, very long time ago.  It presented ideas that I hadn't considered before.  The best of which was the idea of not taking anything personally.  It essentially said that what others say and do is a projection of their own reality, and when you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you won’t be the victim of needless suffering. 

While I am much better with negativity now, I don't think any of us are truly immune to it.  I shy away from mainstream news - I pick and choose where I get my information about current events.  That way it feels like I have better control over the bad.  I've been limiting my usage of social media - most sites I have discontinued using.  I keep and use a couple for different purposes.  Facebook is one I struggle with keeping or letting go, as so much of my feed errs towards the negative.  On the upside, however, I have introduced some other contacts who have lightened things up quite a lot in what they decide to post and share.  

I decided to follow that lead.  I choose share the parts of my life that are positive, and share things that interest me and can help me (and maybe others) in personal growth. Sure, I certainly have my share of worries, stresses, and bad times just like everyone else...  I work through those things through other outlets and choose to stop projecting my complaints and problems onto the world.  I am no longer allowing those things to rule my every waking moment. 

It's an interesting idea... when you project less negativity, you find that you don't let as much come back in.  Karma, perhaps?

My adventure in physical purging of things in the last few years has been amazing.  The mental and emotional purge has taken a lot longer to develop.  It has been just as rewarding thus far... if not more so.