Saturday, January 3, 2015

Ch-ch-ch-changes!

A few things have changed for me since my return home from the PNW last summer... mostly good things.

I returned to Lifetouch, was promoted to a team lead position, and then, later, chose to leave (for reasons I will leave for in-person discussion), all by mid-September.  I was fortunate to learn an interesting array of skills while there - in lighting, portraiture, and sport candid work.  However, it was definitely time to move on...

Concurrently with Lifetouch, I had become very active in local/regional sports photography with a couple of different companies.  The work I continue to do for both organizations has been a wonderful addition to my skillset... in addition to it being a really fun way to earn a paycheck.  It involves everything from high school after-school sports, hockey leagues, 5k/10k/foot races and mud & obstacle races.  I'm excited to continue with this path and see where else it leads - while it continues to be a good learning environment with a ton of potential for growth.

Recently, I went back into a small office environment for 'day work.'  While it pays well, and I don't dislike what I do or the people I spend the day with, I'm already becoming uneasy with the office confines.  I realize this position will severely limit my ability to get out and explore as I have the last 3 summers... and I'm not sure, yet, what I intend to do about that.  I do intend to do something.

So, much of my time now is spent working... some good (photography), and some less so (office).  I don't spend a lot of downtime home, and I spend even less and less time with friends and family.  I have mixed feelings about that.

I've undergone a lot of personal development within the last couple years.  I've updated my outlook in many areas.  I've learned valuable life lessons.  I've simplified my life.  And now I'm in a position where I'm not certain how I relate to others.  I know what I don't relate to anymore - and it seems to be so much of what others do.  I feel as if most times I'm on the opposite side of the fence.  The difference now is, I'm not really looking in anymore.  I don't feel compelled to be one with the group like I used to.  I'm perfectly fine doing my own thing, often times on my own.  All of that said, I do miss the people I used to be really close with.  But now it's hard to find something that helps me connect... and I'm not sure how to fix it.

So I suppose that's one of the next steps.  That, and the pursuit of photographic development that can keep me out of the office confines.

Ever a part of the continuous life and learning journey we're all on...