Monday, June 9, 2014

Arrival at Cascadia Chestnuts

While I think I could have had a really good night's sleep last night, it was interrupted.

I had arrived to one of the Portland area truck stops to sleep last night. I got all situated, and was asleep for 2 hours when security came a knocking, saying I couldn't be there.

Umm, what?!

It's a friggin' truck stop. Truckers can park there to sleep... and every other truck stop I've parked at to sleep has never told me to leave. So I'm not entirely sure what that was all about. I moved to the next available dark lot - which ended up being at a Dick's Sporting Goods lot. It appears that I was not the only one making use of that lot to sleep. The rest of my night went undisturbed, and I slept in longer today than I had the entire week.

Once I got up/showered/breakfasted, I wanted to take care of my week's worth of laundry before heading up the mountain to meet with my hosts. I hate the idea of showing up with dirty laundry to do - tacky. 

Once done, I drove about 12 miles outside of Portland city center to meet my new hosts, where I'll be for the next 2 weeks:

Cascadia Chestnuts

This location is essentially a chestnut orchard... with some other side projects going on. At this time of the year, there is very little left to do concerning the chestnut trees... but there is still help needed in other areas like in their garden, the fruit orchard, help with chickens, etc. It's a relatively light workload compared to what I've had in previous years, which leaves a lot more time for me to get out and explore the area. 

My hosts - Chris and Andrea (nicknamed Grady) - are a retired couple, I guess to be in their 50's. She was previously a RN, and he was in construction. But it seems that between their retirement earnings and what they make annually selling chestnuts to the local markets, they're doing pretty well.

My lodging is an older self-contained camper with all the luxuries of home. Seriously. It's my own mini-apartment. Full kitchen, full bath, TV with DVD player, internet. Very cozy, and very comfortable. Plus I have use of the grill, in-ground pool, and fire pit.

(I'm borrowing their photos... I didn't take any of my own today.)






I spent my first couple of hours here getting the grand tour, and then was left to get settled in to my new quarters. We reconvened later for dinner and conversation.

I imagine I'll dig in and get my hands dirty tomorrow - and I'm looking forward to it!