Wednesday, December 5, 2012

2012 Route 66 Road Trip - Day 5

Day 5 is lacking some in story and in photos.

We left Las Vegas mid-morning. I wanted to drive back up the strip one last time and make sure to go by Excalibur, Luxor, and some of the others at that end of the strip. We didn't get that far the night before - fatigue and hunger won us over. I discovered very quickly that the allure of Vegas dissipates in the daylight. :| I didn't stop to take photos or anything.

Which was the case throughout the rest of the day. We had hopped back on the interstate, finished driving Nevada, the little chunk of Arizona that I-15 touches, and finally into California.

I experienced my first checkpoint upon arriving in California... you know, the one where they ask if I'm driving from Illinois (I really wanted to tell them... no, I came in from Arizona... but I wasn't sure if they lacked a sense of humor or not), if I brought in any produce, or if I had any animals with me. Once through the stop, it was more of the same.

Our end point for the evening was going to be with a friend of Aaron's - a former van-dwelling buddy of his by the name of Kyle. He and his mom have traveled some and now reside nearby Idyllwild, CA. They are caretakers for Idyllwild Park and have their own cabin on site. They had invited us to stay when we came through, so we accepted the offer.

We drove an awesome, yet squirrely road from the interstate up into the mountains... and the views looked something like this:
Zoom in (real dimensions: 960 x 640)Image

We arrived late afternoon into Idyllwild. We got the grand tour of their cabin, and of the park. Once settled, his mom had made a kickass meal of vegan pasta and salad. And we finished off with s'mores by the fire. Not the campfire, mind you... by the wood-burning stove in the cabin. :D Perfect!