Saturday, September 1, 2012

Art/curse of self-promotion...

I'm rather fortunate to have certain opportunities come my way the last few months.  I'm also lucky to have the backing of family and friends in this new-ish photographic endeavor I'm on.  It's my intention to make a real go of this, and put as much effort into making it both enjoyable and a success as I can. That said, there's still this hurdle in front of me that I can't seem to get over/around... and it's been a real problem. 

It's called self-promotion.

It's one of those necessary evils of creating/maintaining a client base.  I struggle with it - daily.  It means getting my work and my name out there.  It means blogging (far more often than I do now).  It means actively (not sporadically) participating in social media platforms.  It means getting out and networking with people in my community, and businesses, and groups, and events...

I know it needs to be done, but I don't yet feel like I have the knack for it.  I'm the sort of person that doesn't like to throw myself into the limelight.  It's just not my thing.  It makes me feel like I'm trying to boast or brag, and honestly... that's not how I roll.  It's difficult for me to see the value in the images I produce sometimes (even though my overall feedback has been really, really good), and when I can't see it... how am I supposed to convince anyone that it's worth putting time and money into?

So how does one turn an introvert into a great (or even just good) self-promoter?  Suggestions/advice/insight appreciated here, folks.