Saturday, April 7, 2012

A little lighter?

Back at the beginning of the year, I got in on the Biggest Loser contest they were having at work.  I managed to get away from some of my "crutch" items like drinking far too much Mt. Dew, and overall improved my eating habits.  And although the contest is long over, and I'm not even working at the same company anymore, my overall weight loss was in the neighborhood of 15-20 lbs.  I've maintained the weight since.  I can't really see the difference in the mirror, but my jeans have told the tale and have become more forgiving.  Granted, I still have a long way to go until I hit my own 'acceptable' weight.

In a conversation over coffee yesterday, one of my best friends said how she thought that with my time away in Alaska this summer, my pounds would probably melt away because I'll be so active all the time.  I'm not sure how true that is... but it did get me thinking.  Not only with the increased activity level be helpful, but I'll be in an environment where certain things are just not accessible.  Things like fast food or soda just won't be a minute or so away from the house.  And to go anywhere will involve a long walk and/or bike ride.  Aside from that, I'll be subjected to a lot of home-grown, natural, organic, non-processed foods... and won't have other options.  I see this working to my advantage in my weight loss endeavor as well.

So, maybe she was on to something.  To test the theory, I will weigh myself next Wednesday before I leave... as a starting point.  I won't pay any mind to weight or the scale or anything like that while I'm away - I don't want the added pressure or stress in thinking that I "need" to lose anything while I'm there.  I'm sure if the weight just melts away, as she suggested, I'll be able to tell by the clothes hanging off my body.  But for curiosity sake, I'll see what that number is when I get back.  This ought to be interesting.

With all this said, I have the next 2-3 days of lunch and dinner plans with family and friends... so I looks like that initial weight may be boosted before I even leave the house.