Sunday, February 12, 2012

Flight booked

I am still working out both major and minor details of traveling to Alaska in April, but I did make it official... I booked my plane tickets from Chicago to Anchorage!  I leave on April 11th. I'll have a short layover in Seattle, but it will be a day-long flying adventure.

Plans at this stage are to fly into Anchorage and spend a couple of days in town, exploring, and absorbing the new atmosphere there.  I plan to set myself up in one of the area hostels (lodging on the cheap) and be a full-on tourist.  Once done there, I will then travel to my first real WWOOF destination. 

I've been checking out the land travel once I arrive in Anchorage - bus, train, etc.  I've found that April is still considered their winter season there, and being that it's still winter, not all modes of transportation run on a daily basis.  Most run only once a week in each direction of travel.  So, I'm still getting around the small obstacle of getting to my final destination.

I will be giving work my final notice the first part of March - I'm hoping that a month (instead of the standard 2-week notice) will give them better time and ability to find a replacement for me... and I can even help train if need be.