Tuesday, July 20, 2010

To route-plan or not to route-plan...

The boy wants to plan routes and waypoints for this trip on his DeLorme map program that he has installed on his netbook.  I get that he wants to have a pre-determined route as to not get lost, and make most efficient use of fuel.

I agree with his efficient use of fuel idea.  But, outside of that, I am of the mindset that a pre-determined map will limit our ability to explore, to wander, to adventure. It will also be another distraction away from why we are going to Montana in the first place.  It's my intent to not bring (my) netbook at all, and go based on the old-fashioned paper map if we get too uncomfortably lost. 

In other news... we went camping with some friends over the weekend, and I've decided that we need a better tent before the Montana expedition.  The cheap one we have now doesn't have much for a rainfly, and it already leaks (yes, I have sealed it) - I've had it about a year now.

Off to ebay, craigslist, etc...