Thursday, July 29, 2010

Less than 30-days, and counting...

I'm under 30 days until this trek... and I feel like I should be doing more to prepare.

There's not really much to do, when I think about it.

With no real destination in mind once we get to Montana, there are no real plans to be made.  I haven't traveled this way very much... you know, by winging it.  Yeah, sure... for a weekend at the most... but this is 10-days. This is kind of a big deal.

I'm nervous and excited all at the same time.  In the end, I know that it's trips like this one that will better prepare for what lies ahead.  Leading, eventually, to 3-4 weeks in Alaska... or possibly more. 

In reality, the only things that have to be done (outside of normal packing and such) is that I do need to purchase a better, more rugged tent.  The one I have now is a cheap Walmart special that really won't stand up to much weather at all.  Currently looking at something similar to the Coleman Hooligan 4.

Coleman Hooligan 4 Tent

To prep the jeep, I still need to do a transmission fluid/filter change, and a coolant change.  And I'm sure there will be an oil change and tire rotation in there before the trip as well.  Outside of those things, the Jeep is  ready.

I'm so used to having to make/confirm reservations somewhere and print/plan route maps.  I don't have that to do... not really.  Mapping to a degree, but not to the extent that I'm accustomed to.

Let this trip be as freeing as I hope it will be...